Guess what is coming up? LUKE 18!!!! Next weekend (February 15-16) is our Prep Overnighter. I will be sending out an email next week with all of the details…
Believe it or not, this is a very rich Gospel. There are about 7 topics that we can pull out of this Gospel reading alone. I am really going to focus on 2 of them.
1) I am glad that Jesus walked this Earth over 2000 years ago. Think about if he walked this Earth today, and performed this exact miracle. Think about it: 2000 pigs were killed at one time.
- Jesus would have the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) breathing down his neck asking whether or not he had the proper licenses to kill the pigs.
- The EPA (Environment Protection Agency) would be investigating the pollution of Lake Galilee with all the decaying pigs
- SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) and PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) would be up in arms over animal cruelty
- Lawyers would be lining up to sue him, because did he really have permission to kill those pigs? Really, He didn’t own them.
- The economy would shift because the sudden decrease of the pig population means higher pork prices.
- The list goes on and on.
2) The second thing really is that Our God is a loving and merciful God… with a huge sense of humor. Let’s listen to the Gospel again.
The demon asked Jesus 3 things. 1) Do not torment me; 2) Do not drive us away from this territory; 3) Let us enter the swine. Jesus, in his mercy, answered all of the demons’ prayers… but then sent them into the lake to drown themselves. He did what was asked of him, but not in the way the demon really thought it would be.
The same is true in our life. How many people have prayed for patience? What always happens? The Lord gives us a situation where you have to be patient. I learned when my oldest son was about 2 or 3 months old to stop praying for patience, because when I would pray for it, it would take longer for my son to stop crying uncontrollably.
Another example: after my wife and I were married for about 2 years, Facebook became a really big thing. I remember that one week about, about 12 people from my high school youth group ‘friended’ me. In one day, 4 of the people that ‘friended’ me were Jennifers. I started thinking back to all of them, and how I had major crushes on them. Then it dawned on me that I used to pray that I would marry one of those Jennifers. The crazy thing is that I married a Jennifer, but none of those from high school.
Our God hears are prayers always. The problem is that we think we know better than our God; that things should happen the way we plan it. But, the reality is that our God knows better than us. He will answer all our prayers, just not necessarily how and when we want it.
Also, He is constantly blessing us and pouring his grace over us … even more than we realize. If we can only see with his eyes, the amount he blesses us. One of my favorite lines comes from a song called “How he loves”. It states “if grace is an ocean, we’re all sinking.” Spend some time thinking about all of the graces and blessing he gives us, and make sure to thank him for them. He doesn’t have to; but he does because of how much he loves us.
Let us pray:
Lord God, you are so loving and merciful. We are so blessed to have a God that listens to us. Help us to remember that you are so powerful; that you can do all things, and can overcome all evil. We ask you to humble us; help us to remember that you know what is best for us. Help us to trust in you and your plan; help us to know that you hear all of our prayers. We ask that you help us with all of the struggles in our life. Send your blessings upon us. Help us to see you, and help us to see with your eyes the blessings and graces you pour down on us. We ask this through the intercession of all the angels and saints, especially your mother, as we pray: Hail Mary…
First off, I just want to say thank you to everyone that helped out at yesterday’s fundraiser. We literally couldn’t do it without you. It was such a great success and was complimented on not only the food, but how awesome the service was. Thank you so much.
1) We DO have Disciples Tonight at 7pm in the Youth Office
2) We still need help on Friday. Teenagers: Please dress in white shirt, black pants or skirts. Please meet at 4pm, since the first seating is at 4:30. People that help clean do get leftovers… (Just saying!) You can CLICK HERE for the promo that you can send to your family and friends.
3) This Sunday is Super Bowl Sunday. We will be meeting in the Rectory Basement at 5pm. We ask that you bring a snack to share. Feel free to invite friends, too.
4) Monday is AMP at 7pm. Feel free to invite family and friends. Also, come find out one of the things I love about our God.
If there is anything we can do for you, or prayers that we can pray with you, please let us know; we are here to help.
Tonight, the Parish is showing the “Greatest Miracle” in the Parish Hall. It’s starts at 7pm and is open to anyone.
Most of you don’t have school on Monday. If that is the case, Demolition Ball/ Adrenaline Zone has UNLIMITED Laser Tag for only $12 from Noon til 5pm. Also, you can pay an extra $5 per person for a 15 minute game of Demolition Ball.
This Sunday is called “WORD”. Find out what the word is. We will also have a classic IMPACT original film. Don’t miss out. PS: Bring your bible.
We will need your help for the IMPACT Fundraiser Dinner on Feb. 1 from both you and your parents. This fundraiser supports both IMPACT and Seedbearers. Flyers and Reservations start this weekend.
Also, I received the Pro-Life hoodies for those that ordered them. If you didn’t pay already, you will have to pay $25 before receiving it.
Those of us that are going to the Pro-Life March to DC are asked to attend the Noon Mass for a special blessing. If you are not going, still come to the Noon Mass for support.
Also, I sent out an agenda and a what-to-bring list… You MUST Read it. If you didn’t get it let me know and I will resend it to you.
We hope you are all doing well. Please know that we are constantly praying for you. If you have any thing that you specifically want to be prayed for, let us know by going to http://seasimpact.com/prayer-request/. Also, know that this is open to anyone who needs prayers.